Friday, May 21, 2010

Music in the Back Country


Boondock Product:  IPod and Altec Lansing IM Speaker System

While looking at high mountain scenery there is definitely a need for your own brand of tunes.  My daughter bought me the following combination an IPOD and the Altec Lansing  IM600 speaker system with built-in charger for the IPOD.  She also gave me a connection for the truck radio to listen to my music instead of putting up with the Top 10 music found on America's broadcast radio.

I was skeptical the IPOD was worth the money.  Wrong again.  After taking off on a 2000 mile road trip I quickly changed my mind.   I put my entire CD collection of 5700 songs on the IPOD.  That is 570 CD's and there is still room for over a 1,000 new CD's.  You can also put audio books and podcasts on the IPOD for listening in the back-country.

This is the IPOD my daughter gave me as a present.  Well worth the price.  You need to download ITUNES to your computer and then transfer to the IPOD by syncing the IPOD with the computer.  Fairly simple and quick procedure.

Another nice thing about the IPOD is how simple it is to operate.  No instruction book needed.  At this point in my life, I do not need more clutter or things to remember.  So if I can use it without referring to a manual,  I generally buy it!


The IPOD does not come with speakers.  That's where the Altec Lansing comes in.  The InMotion IM-600-USB Charging Portable System with FM Receiver for the IPOD costs less that a hundred bucks and has great audio sound.

It may not be as good as Bose, but much cheaper and sounds great at normal listening levels and will also charge your IPOD.  Just a charger for the IPOD is around $50.  So for another $50, you get a great portable speaker system.

It does come with an FM tuner but it is only average in quality.

You also get a remote control and sub-woofer port if you want to make your sound even better.  It has an AUX input.  You can hook-up your high performance AM/FM radio or your TV and listen through the high quality speakers. 

The unit comes with internal batteries that charge when hooked up to 120 volts or 12 volts.  To use outside, just unplug and carry it out.  It folds flat for storage.

The IPOD and Altec Lansing InMotion IM600 are a great combination for music in the boondocks.  It is also the only way that you can listen to your entire Bob Wills or Grateful Dead collection without carrying several dozen CD's.

The Grateful Dead AND Bob Wills??  Well yes, those are my musical tastes developed while getting a Forestry degree from the University of California at Berkeley in 1972!  What is a boondock camping location without Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys?

No comments: